Pierogi, a traditional Polish dish, is a beloved comfort food enjoyed by many around the world. While it may seem like a complex culinary endeavor, making savory potato and onion pierogi is surprisingly simple and rewarding. With a few basic ingredients and a little patience, you can create a batch of delicious homemade pierogi that will impress your family and friends. In this post, we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide, including the ingredients and instructions, to make savory potato and onion pierogi from scratch.
After mixing your flour and salt set it aside. Over low heat incorporate your butter and water together. Once incorporated add to your bowl of flour and mix, add your egg and combine. You’ll get a shaggy Pierogi dough ball similar to this one:
Knead your Pierogi dough ball for 10-15 minutes. It will feel smooth and look similar to this:
- 2 Potatoes – Yukon Gold Diced into 1" square
- 1 Sweet Onion Diced
- 4 clove Garlic Minced
- 4 tbsp Butter Salted, and divided
- 3 oz Sour Cream
- 2 oz Cheddar Cheese Finely grated
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- 2 cups All-Propose Flour
- 3 tbsp Butter Salted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- Place cubed potatoes into a medium pan, cover with water and place on stove over medium high heat.
- Boil until potatoes are fork tender, about 25 minutes.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a skillet over medium heat, add diced onion and minced garlic.
- Sauté until the onions are golden brown.
- Drain potatoes once soft and add to a medium mixing bowl.
- Mash potatoes until smooth, add the remaining 3 tbsp butter, and your sour cream. Stir to combine.
- Fold the onions and grated cheese into the potato mixture until combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to use!
- Whisk together flour and salt in bowl, set aside
- In a sauce pan heat your water and butter together on low heat until incorporated, and combine with flour
- Add egg to flour mixture stir until combined and roll out onto well floured surface
- Knead for 10 to 12 minutes, until smooth
- Wrap in plastic and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes
- Once rested roll out to 1/8" thick and cut into 3-4" rounds
- Add your favorite filling